Thursday 30 May 2013

Nintendo and psychedelics.

Psychedelics in popular culture. There are many concepts within popular culture, music,games, T.V shows and movies. I couldn't really find anything in relation to this on the web so I thought I would share what I have observed in my life. Much of the time I had no idea that these were psychedelic concepts until I grew up and took psychedelics/entheogens, as well as having other spiritual experiences.


I am going to start with what I saw growing up in all different types of media, I guess the first would be Mario or super Mario as well as other concepts used by Nintendo. Now by no means is this a complete catalogue of psychedelics in popular culture, just what I have observed and then relating them to my own experiences with entheogens/psychedelics(what I have seen personally). Mario loves his mushrooms, there are mushrooms in the game mario for nintendo. They have magical properties and cause mario to grow in size essentially giving you an extra life, if you are hit then you shrink down again. The mushrooms featured in the Mario games are red with white spots, this is the colours of the Amanita mushrooms which are renowned more for their ability to make you feel energetically charged and high. It was speculated by Professor Samuel Odman in the 19th century that Viking warriors use these mushrooms to gain an advantage over their opponents in combat, by going into a rage and having super human strength and speed.
http://www.flyagaric-amanita.com/berserker_rages.html
Fly Agaric shroom

Mario mushroom.


The second concept that has a psychedelic origin is the concept of a humanoid tree( The Deku tree in Zelda). You will find the druids of the anglo countries have been drawing these for quite some time. In my personal experience I have seen trees turn humanoid on blotter paper what was claimed LSD in reality it was probably LSA mixed with some secondary alkaloids(which I believe are ignored for their properties). People also report on psychedelics like ayahuasca or smokeable dmt that nature can grow in fast forward or envelope them with vines covering their body. Perhaps these humanoid trees you see are people that have passed on to be incarnated or integrated into nature. In my personal experience I have seen vines growing out of persons body when I smoked dmt. Fairies are also popular in psychedelic culture and are a heavy them in Zelda, which all relate to Anglo lore. Druids were the spiritual guides of their communities, settling disputes whilst also being knowledgeable in medicinal plants, as well as psychedelics for spiritual medicine. They also had sacred groves/forests. Much like Links hometown in Zelda.


It is also worthy to note this in relation to deru compared to deku.
 "Based on all available forms, the hypothetical proto-Celtic word may then be reconstructed as *dru-wid-s (pl. *druwides) meaning "oak-knower". The two elements go back to the Proto-Indo-European roots *deru-[15] and *weid- "to see".[16] The sense of "oak-knower" (or "oak-seer") is supported by Pliny the Elder,[1"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid
"In the Welsh legend, divination was known as awenyddion or awenithion, which was a power of poetic insight. The insight or divination come from sleeping and dream, where the sleeping person would speak during a rapt ecstasy."
Well I can tell you that this is real, as I have experienced it myself. I would say that most of the stuff people hear about these kinds of things is utter bs, a lot of propaganda was disseminated by the Romans when they invaded Britain. In an attempt to stamp out the Druids. I guess they just didn't understand the infinite soul, so they would have just came back.
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/druids.html

I have personally experienced all of these phenomenon myself^, which I guess is why I am drawing attention to these stories in the game having their roots (no pun intended :) in real life.

Druidic face.




Deku Scrub from Zelda



I will continue on with other mediums such as television and movies next blog :) I hope you enjoyed and feel free to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment